Benning IDs issued by appointment only

lgordon@ledger-enquirer.comSeptember 17, 2008 

In an effort to more efficiently serve its customers, Fort Benning's identification card section will operate on an appointment only basis beginning Nov. 1.

The goal is to help customers within 10 minutes of their appointment times, eliminating long lines. Same-day appointment will be available in emergency situations such as in the event of a lost or stolen ID card or an emergency medical situation.

To make an appointment, please call 706-545-4068 or 706-545-9085.


The following items are a list of the most common documents needed when getting an ID card or DEERS enrollment.

1. Soldier/Sponsor must be present with Family members, unless the Family member has a power of Attorney.

2. Picture Id's: Must have two and one must be from a local state or government agency.

3. To be enrolled in DEERS, a spouse or child must have a social security card or letter from the Social Security Administration Office. We can't do temporary enrollments except for infant children.

4. Divorce: Must have the final divorce decree signed by the judge with legible file numbers.

5. Marriage Certificate: Must be original document with seal intact.

6. Birth Certificate: Must be original document.

7. Adding Stepchildren: In order to add a stepchild into DEERS, we must have the original marriage certificate (even if the mother is enrolled in DEERS); original birth certificate, original social security card or letter from Social Security Administration Office.

8. Power of Attorneys (POA): Must be original with raised seal. Special POA must specify for DEERS enrollment/update and ID card issuance.

9. In order to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC), civilian employees and military personnel must have valid AKO accounts. They must know their username before the CAC can be issued.

10. Students over 21 years of age. Must provide proof from an accredited university or college registrar office, verifying they are enrolled full time in a degree program with the anticipated graduation date.

11. Faxed DD 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment). Outside faxes are not acceptable. All DD-1172 must be received directly from another DEERS office with a cover sheet. Change to

12. Contractor employees must entered into the Contractor Verification System. They can get this information through their Human Resource or Contract Officer Representative.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service