Georgia football: Player could face suspension

January 4, 2011 

ATHENS, Ga. -- University of Georgia football coach Mark Richt has not yet decided whether to suspend a football player after learning he was charged with assault last year.

Athletic Department spokesman Claude Felton said Monday that Richt is on a recruiting trip and hasn’t had time to look at the case against 21-year-old Marcus Dowtin.

Police records show Dowtin, a backup linebacker, was charged with second-degree assault in Ocean City, Md., in May.

Multiple media outlets reported that it was over a bar fight where Dowtin knocked a man unconscious.

Online court records show the case was resolved on Dec. 21 but no further details were available.

Dowtin didn’t play in the Liberty Bowl, but Felton said that was not related to the charge.

Richt didn’t learn of the incident until Monday.

Dowtin could not be reached for comment by The Associated Press.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service