SEC meetings: School presidents drop football annual signing limit from 28 to 25 players

semerson@ledger-enquirer.comJune 4, 2011 

DESTIN, Fla. -- Michael Adams didn’t want to say much, but the smile on his face said plenty. As Georgia’s president walked out of the meeting with his peers Friday, Adams kept saying, “It’s a good day for the SEC.”

Some may disagree. But on the contentious issue of over-signing, the SEC meetings revealed this: The conference’s presidents and commissioner still out-rank their high-profile, well-paid football coaches.

The presidents cracked down on the so-called practice of over-signing, dropping the annual limit on signed recruits from 28 to 25. The coaches voted against that two days before and spoke publicly against it. But two days later, their presidents over-ruled them.

“People did the right thing,” Adams said. “People voted right. This was a good high point for us, I think.”

It will remain to be seen how the measures end up curbing the coaches who had signed an over-abundance of recruits, then run some off. Teams can still back-count recruits who enroll early. And if loop-holes exist in the new legislation, the coaches will find them.

But the SEC appeared to at least have a good day on the public relations front, going further than other conferences on an issue that had moved to the forefront in college athletics.

The conference now plans to send an official request to NCAA president Mark Emmert to have the NCAA adopt a uniform standard. There had been concern about the SEC putting itself in a position of competitive imbalance, but commissioner Mike Slive, whose conference has won the past five BCS championships, was adamant.

“No one, no one wants to win more than I do,” Slive said. “But we don’t want to win at the expense of young people. We want to win for them.”

Slive got his way on a series of proposals on roster management, with the 25-signee limit being the most high-profile. The package also includes:

A stipulation that the conference must approve all requests for medical disqualifications. If necessary, it will seek an outside medical opinion. Some programs had made use of medical disqualifications to force out players and get under the 85-scholarship limit.

The exemption allowing graduate students to transfer to a team and not sit out a year was also eliminated, although it won’t go into effect until October. That means former N.C. State quarterback Russell Wilson would still be able to play at an SEC program this year.

The same exemption allowed Mississippi to take starting quarterback Jeremiah Masoli before the 2010 season, after he was dismissed from Oregon. The exemption was originally made to encourage players to graduate, but the conference felt it was being exploited.

“We believe this is an important academic rule,” Slive said. “I think it’s fair to say when it became an athletic rule, we’re no longer interested in having the exemption.”

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service