AUBURN, Ala. — Gene Chizik held his weekly press conference. Very short one today. Here are some quick notes from what he said:
* I think we made some baby steps Saturday in being a better football team, but so many more strides to go.
* On winning close games: I think our guys are willing to fight to the end. Our players trust that were going to give them a plan to win.
* Its really hard to close those games out if you havent done it, but weve repeatedly done it.
* Said last years Clemson game is when team really started believing it could win close games.
* Clemson is a solid team. That game really opened our eyes to what playing physical football needed to be.
* Said there are a lot of similarities in the offenses of Gus Malzahn and Clemson coordinator Chad Morris, one of his proteges. Both teams face it every day in practice. I dont think its going to be anything revolutionary.
* Chizik was a GA at Clemson back in 1988-89. Its a great place with great people. Very similar to Auburn.
* Said team has focused on third down issues on both sides of the ball. Weve got to execute on those downs. Well know more this Saturday.