Spencer 50, Temple 21: Greenwave wins second straight

Times-GeorgianSeptember 28, 2012 

TEMPLE, Ga. -- Spencer won its second straight game after starting the season with three consecutive losses by outscoring Temple 50-21 Friday night.

The Greenwave improved to 2-3 overall and 2-1 in Region 5-AA. Temple fell to 1-4 and 1-2. That broke a four-way tie for fourth place in the region.

Spencer turned around the result from last season’s matchup, when the Greenwave lost 42-22. Spencer will be idle next week. The Greenwave’s next game is 7:30 p.m. Oct. 12 at Bremen.

All Friday night the Temple High School football team didn't have an answer for the high powered Spencer attack as the Tigers dropped their homecoming game at Rogers Stadium.

Tarvaraska Davis completed 11-of-20 passes for a touchdown, ran for two scores, and Damarkus Robins rushed 15 times for 119 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Greenwave (2-3, 2-1 Region 5-AA) offensively.

After falling behind 20-7 in the second quarter, Temple would drive deep into Greenwave territory, but Myles Simmons was ruled out of bounds at the 3 as he dove for the goal line. A few plays later, Robins would fumble the ball away to Temple, and a short drive ended with a 4-yard touchdown run from Simmons.

After a missed point after, Temple trailed 20-13 with 1:06 left in the first half. As they would all night, Temple elected to kick off short, and Robins took the ensuing kickoff at his own 35 and raced into the end zone for the score. A two-point conversion lifted the Greenwave to a 28-13 halftime lead.

“That kickoff return let a lot of the air out of us,” stated Tiger head coach Seth Rogers. “It was a huge play.”

Temple would open the second half with a long pass play deep into Spencer’s side of the field, but the play was nullified by an illegal shift penalty. Two plays later, on fourth down, the snap to punter Philip Chandler was high and sailed out of the end zone for a safety.

“As much as the kickoff hurt us,” Rogers said, “that procedure penalty hurt us more. We didn’t seem to recover. We’re such a young team, and we had some bright spots tonight, but when the bad things started to snowball, it seemed the bottom just fell out for us.”

Following the safety, Spencer would take advantage of a short field, and an 11-yard quarterback draw for a touchdown by Davis upped the Greenwave lead to 36-13. Robins put the game out of reach with 5:27 left in the third quarter with a 37-yard scoring jaunt.

Both teams opened the game with impressive nine play drives for scores. Spencer would take an early lead after a 1-yard run by Robins, and Temple answered by rushing nine times for 65 yards, with Simmons gaining the final 19 to tie the game at 7-7. Spencer would up the lead to 20-7 on a 31-yard run by Robins, and a 12-yard TD pass from Davis to Robins for the 20-7 lead 45 seconds into the second quarter before the Tigers would cut the lead to 20-13 on the TD run by Simmons. Simmons would lead the Temple attack with 84 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

The Tigers, who have dropped their last two region games, hit the road the next two weeks for games at Manchester and Bowdon. The Temple coach was clear about the challenge.

“We have a tough stretch coming up. All we can do is come back to work on Monday and get better,” Rogers said.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service