Celebrating 10 years of Go Red for Women Day by the American Heart Association, the pink and green ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Rho Rho Omega chapter will host a "Red Wine Sip" 7 to 10:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1 at the Hughston Foundation, 100 Frist Court, just off Veterans Parkway. The event will feature live jazz by local artists, hors doeuvres and wine. Tickets are $20. Call 770-883-3332 for tickets or information.
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women. Here are five ways to love your heart:
1. Be active: The American Heart Association recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a day.
2. Eat smart: Enjoy a diet low in sodium, saturated fat and transfat, and rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber-rich whole grains, and monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat.
3. Evaluate your risk: Age, gender, race/ethnicity, family history and other medical conditions can all increase your risk of developing heart disease. Know which factors affect you and what you can do to reduce them.
4. Listen to your heart: When warning signs pop up, pay attention to them. By visiting a doctor early, your chances of avoiding a serious condition increase.
5. Know the facts: Read up on heart disease. By knowing about the culprit, you will be better prepared to help prevent and fight it.
Visit goredforwomen.org for heart health tools, tips and information.