Columbus police ID gunman who was shot by officers Monday

benw@ledger-enquirer.comApril 10, 2013 

Columbus police have identified the man accused of pointing a gun at officers on Interstate 185 Monday before he was shot.

On Wednesday police Lt. J.F. Ross identified the man as 21-year-old Timothy Delbridge Jr. of Columbus.

According to officials at the hospital Wednesday afternoon, Delbridge is in unsatisfactory condition in the intensive care unit. He underwent surgery Monday evening for at least one gunshot wound to his shoulder, said Special Agent in Charge Wayne Smith of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which as an outside agency is probing the police shooting.

The shooting remains under investigation by the GBI and the Columbus Police Department.

Officer Whitney Foster and Sgt. Edwin Wilkins were listed as officers that first reported to the scene.

Delbridge has been charged with aggravated assault against a police officer, reckless conduct and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, according to reports.

Authorities were unsure Monday why a motorist parked alongside the northbound side of the interstate between Smith and Williams roads was shooting from his vehicle before being wounded in a confrontation with Columbus police.

The man was shot as he pointed a gun at two police officers cautiously approaching his sport-utility vehicle, prompting at least one of the officers to fire on him, Smith said. The car had a shattered window when they arrived, according to a police report.

Police were responding to complaints of the driver’s firing from the automobile about 1:30 p.m., authorities said.

Smith said the motorist had his seat reclined as the officers walked up.

“They approached very cautiously,” Smith said of the officers. “They could not tell if there was anybody inside. And then when they got up close to him, the driver brandished a weapon, and he was shot.”

Witness interviews have confirmed that much of the story, he said.

“We have finished processing the scene and doing the initial interviews — nothing has come out of that that was not expected,” Smith said Monday. “It was as we thought the sequence of events had taken place. There were really no surprises.”

Tim Chitwood contributed to this report.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service