Xzaveyon Reese, 26, faces charges after shooting man during private gun sale

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comAugust 8, 2013 

Xzaveyon Reese

A suspect accused of shooting a man during a private gun sale in April faced aggravated assault charges in Recorder's Court Thursday morning.

Xzaveyon Reese, 26, faced charges of criminal attempt at armed robbery, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and aggravated assault during an 8 a.m. hearing. His case was heard by Judge Michael Joyner.

He has also been charged with failure to yield to stop sign, driving while license suspended, no proof of insurance and obstruction of law enforcement in a separate case, according to the Muscogee County Jail.

An officer told the court that on April 17 at about 11 p.m., the 27-year-old victim met with an acquaintance to buy a gun at Chase Apartments on First Avenue. When he arrived, Reese was accompanying the acquaintance. The victim told police he was nervous because he didn't know Reese and had not been told by his acquaintance that Reese would be there.

When the three men got into the victim's vehicle to perform the gun sale, the victim insisted his acquaintance get into the back seat instead of Reese, who had intended to get into the backseat. He told police he did this for safety reasons.

Reese, after entering the car, asked the victim how much money he had with him. The victim replied, "$100," at which time Reese pulled out a .38 revolver from his pocket and pointed it at the victim.

The 27-year-old threw the money into the floorboard and tried to run. Reese then shot the victim in the lower back. Both Reese and the acquaintance ran off, firing several more bullets as they fled.

The $100 was later recovered in the floorboard.

Police reported that the victim was held in the Medical Center for six days while he was treated for injuries. Doctors were unable to remove the bullet, which remains lodged in his lower back. He showed no signs that disabilities had developed from the injury during Thursday's hearing.

When the victim returned home, he looked up the acquaintance on Facebook and discovered that he had two profiles: one, under his real name, and one where he called himself "The Boss." In "The Boss's" profile pictures, the victim found a few pictures which featured the acquaintance and Reese together. Reese, in some of these pictures, went by the alias "Yellow Boy."

Using descriptions provided by the victim, and searching Reese's alias, police were able to find records of Reese's criminal history and link him to the incident. Reese was convicted of an armed robbery committed on Nov. 26, 2011, according to the officer.

Police put together a line-up which included for the victim, in which he positively identified Reese. Warrants were later released for Reese's arrest.

He was booked in the Muscogee County Jail on August 2, according to the jail.

Joyner set Reese's bond at $110,000. His case will be forwarded to Muscogee County Superior Court.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service