Court: Domestic dispute ends at knifepoint

acarlson@ledger-enquirer.comOctober 14, 2013 

Jason Hudson

An argument between a husband and wife Saturday ended with weapons drawn in the front yard of their Valleybrook home, according to testimony in Recorder's Court.

Police testified in court Monday that Jason Hudson was upset after his wife had been at the hospital all night with a relative; and that, after she came home the next morning, they began to argue before he chased her outside.

She had their 1-year-old child in her arms.

She also had a phone in her hand, which Hudson knocked to the ground before knocking her down as well, pulling her hair, and threatening her with a silver pocketknife.

"This is it," Hudson reportedly said to his wife.

Hudson is charged with aggravated assault, cruelty to children in the third degree and obstruction of a 911 call. He `pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Two neighbors, who had been witnessing the fight, interceded once Hudson drew the knife. An officer said in court that, had they not broken up the fight, Hudson's wife could have been injured.

Once officers arrived on the scene Saturday, Hudson was "highly agitated" and uncooperative, at one point "aggressively" drawing a comb from his pocket and attempting to go inside. As a result, one of the responding officers drew his gun on Hudson.

Testifying in court, Hudson's wife said that she and her husband had argued while she was at the hospital, that as a result she returned to check on her child, and that afterward Hudson retreated to the home, threatening to break something.

The situation escalated inside.

Hudson's wife testified that she got their son and tried to leave, but was chased -- and at one point cornered -- by her husband. He pulled her hair and drew a knife on her, she said. He asked her, "So are we done?"

Hudson's wife said that she did not call 911. However, she did receive a call on the cell phone during the argument and told whoever was on the other end "to call 911."

Both witnesses were in court and corroborated the officers' basic version of events, though they said they were unable to tell what the object was Hudson drew, beyond that it was "shiny."

Officers said a knife was recovered at the scene; a phone was not.

The couple's child was not injured during the fight.

In a statement to the court, Hudson said that he didn't mean for the argument to turn violent -- that he only wanted to keep his wife and son from leaving.

Hudson has no priors. Bond was set at $15,000 for the aggravated assault, $2,500 for the cruelty to children and $1,000 for obstruction. The case will continue in Superior Court.

Judge Michael Joyner ordered Hudson to stay away from his wife, should he make bond.

If any contact is reported between them, he will be charged with stalking.

Related stories:

Allegedly drunk, disorderly man arrested for cocaine, marijuana possession

Police: Confused loiterer caught with meth, paraphernalia

David Scott homicide: Multiple versions of how fifth suspect was shot

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service