Barbecue pit catches fire at Mike & Ed's

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comNovember 14, 2013 

A possible grease fire caused at least $30,000 worth of damage to Mike & Ed's Barbecue on Manchester Expressway, Columbus Fire Department officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Greg Lang said the fire started after a Mike & Ed's employee left the restaurant at about 7:40 a.m. to take care of unspecified business. Sometime during that, the barbecue pit caught fire, which spread to other parts of the structure.

"A guy got to (Mike and Ed's) this morning and started cooking," Lang said. "He extinguished the pit at that time, however, I guess some grease that had gotten rolled over, got into the pit and started a fire."

Fire fighters were finishing up at the scene at about 9 a.m., Fire Marshal Ricky Shores said.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, Lang said. Damage to the 2626 Manchester Expressway building is estimated between $30,000 and $40,000.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service