Court: Winston Road shooting suspect threatened victim in hospital

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comJanuary 20, 2014 

Diangilo Bell

A 23-year-old man shot thrice on Winston Road in early January is scared for his life after allegedly receiving numerous death threats from the suspect, according to court testimony.

Diangilo Bell, 22, faces a charge of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

The victim was found with gunshot wounds to the neck, upper thigh and hand at about 12:30 a.m., an officer told the court. He told police that he was visiting a friend on the 1000 block of Winston Road when Bell got out of a silver sedan and approached him with a revolver.

Bell was still in the process of obscuring his face with a bandana when he approached the victim, the officer told the court. The victim later told police that those few, fumbling seconds allowed the victim to later identify Bell as a suspect.

As Bell approached, the victim tried to flee, according to testimony. He held a hand in front of his face and ducked, causing one bullet to miss his head and enter his neck, and another to hit his hand.

The victim was later taken to Midtown Medical Center for treatment. His condition was not disclosed during the hearing.

According to the victim's family, Bell's pursuit of the victim did not end after he was taken to the hospital. The victim's father said during Monday's hearing that his son received numerous death threats from Bell, warning him that he would come after him and potentially kill him.

Police asked for the public's help in locating Bell on Jan. 7. He was arrested Jan. 17, though details surrounding that arrest were not discussed in court.

The father said that Bell has previously been allowed to stay in his home, and that relationship was severed after Bell began causing problems for the family.

"Not only did he shoot my son, once my son was in the hospital he continued to call … and threaten his life," the father told the court. "Now my son is in fear of his life. My son is in fear of going out in public. I fought to protect my country. I won't hesitate to protect my family."

Bell told the court he never threatened or shot the victim, and said the two had been friends for some time.

"He and I used to hang out all the time, every day," Bell said. "I never did anything to him."

Judge Julius Hunter set Bell's bond at $60,000.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service