Columbus man dies of burns from Crystal Drive fire

benw@ledger-enquirer.comFebruary 1, 2014 

More than two weeks after sustaining third-degree burns in a fire at Crystal Valley Estates Mobile Home Park, Tony Ray Hancock died Saturday morning at the burn center in Augusta, Ga.

Muscogee County Coroner Buddy Bryan said Hancock, 54, was pronounced dead of multiple organ failure and the severe burns at 11:35 a.m. The coroner said both of Hancock’s legs were amputated after the Jan. 9 fire at lot 224, 6023 Crystal Drive.

Hancock’s death is the second from the fire. Kathy Bohanon, the woman who lived with Hancock, was pronounced dead at just before 3 a.m. after her body was found in a doorway of the mobile home. Fire officials said the 2:08 a.m. fire also claimed the life of the family’s pet dog, which appeared to be a Dachschund.

Firefighters found the home in flames. A neighbor said Hancock’s skin was burning when he was found outside the home. He had first-, second- and third-degree burns on 50 percent of his body and severe burns to his lower body.

A cause of the fire hasn’t been released, but a neighbor said there were three explosions during the fire, one possibly from propane tanks the couple used to heat the home.

At the scene, a neighbor described the couple as quiet people who kept to themselves. Occasionally, they asked neighbors for a ride to the store. -

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service