No one injured in stove fire at Farrfield Manor on Farr Road

benw@ledger-enquirer.comFebruary 8, 2014 

Food left unattended on a stove was the blame for a fire that sent some elderly residents of Farrfield Manor filing outside the Farr Road complex Saturday.

No one was injured in the fire that was doused by the sprinkler system by the time three fire trucks responded to the independent living apartment complex at 419 Farr Road.

Capt. Brian Russell of the Columbus Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services said a fire sprinkler head came off after the stove fire activated the sprinkler system.

“It went out immediate,” Russell said of the fire. “Mainly, it just got a lot of water on the ground.”

Firefighters were still on the scene at 3 p.m. to keep water from entering nearby apartments. Russell said none of the residents will be displaced by the fire.

“Everybody will be back in the building here shortly,” he said.

Chris Ragon, communications director for the non-profit Retirement Housing Foundation, said the damage was confined to the one apartment. The complex has about 70 units.

“I was very happy that no one was injured,” she said. “I know that the EMTs were there as a precaution to make sure no one was overcome by the activity.”

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service