Suspects in Wiggins' homicide share 2011 murder charge

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comFebruary 26, 2014 

Ryan Desean Brown

The third suspect named in the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Sayquawn Lamer Wiggins shares a murder charge history with one of his alleged conspirators, according to a Russell County Sheriff's Department release.

Ryan Desean Brown, 23, was arrested Wednesday and charged with conspiracy to commit capital murder, trafficking cocaine and second degree possession of marijuana. He joins 44-year-old Antonio Darcet King and 32-year-old Santago Montrell Davis, both of whom were uncles to the victim.

According to the Sheriff's Department, Brown and King were on bond for the 2011 slaying of Timothy Turman when Wiggins was found dead on Feb. 19 of multiple gunshot wounds in the cemetery of New Hope Baptist Church in Cottonton, Ala., off Highway 165.

Russell County District Attorney Ken Davis said Brown, just like King, was wearing a GPS ankle bracelet during the time the shooting took place.

Sheriff Heath Taylor has previously stated that he believes the shooting to be drug related, and that investigators suspect an assault rifle was used.

“The evidence we were able to obtain from friends and family is going to be such that Mr. Wiggins was involved with Mr. King and it’s because of that involvement and the history between those two that Mr. King wanted Mr. Wiggins dead,” Taylor said in a previous statement.

Wiggins was last seen with Davis, who dropped off Wiggins' Chevy Caprice on Colin Powell Parkway, Taylor said. Wiggins had been traveling between Russell County and Atlanta since August, when King began threatening him and his family.

“Those threats were documented and reported,” Taylor added.

Davis was arrested at the Sheriff’s Office early Sunday morning, the same day investigators executed a search warrant at King's house. They found a weapon, narcotics and some electronics they believe are related to Wiggins' fatal shooting.

King, who was arrested the following day, faces an additional charge of possession of cocaine because of the search.

Both King and Brown were arrested on May 16, 2013 in connection with Turman's murder. During that arrest, Brown was charged with second degree possession of marijuana and second degree theft by receiving.

Both men were released within months — King on June 25 and Brown on May 21. The recently deceased Russell County Circuit Judge George Greene set Brown's bond at $500,000; King's bond was set at $1 million.

Turman was found dead with multiple gunshot wounds to his arms and torso on Feb. 6, 2011, after two women returned to a home at 1102 Dillingham Street from Columbus. Narcotics were found on Turman and in the residence, according to a Ledger-Enquirer report.

Unfortunate circumstances have delayed a trial for Turman's homicide thus far, Ken Davis said.

The lead Phenix City Police officer assigned to the case, Sgt. Daniel V. Davis, died in mid-November after he accidentally shot himself in the leg at Carriage Hill Apartments on Summerville Road. The case was also transferred to Judge Michael Bellamy after Greene's December retirement.

Monday, Bellamy revoked King's bond and set no bond for Wiggins' murder. Davis' bond was set at $750,000.

A motion to dismiss Brown's bond for Turman's murder was filed Tuesday, according to Alabama State court documents.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service