Woman identified in Smiths Station fatal fire

benw@ledger-enquirer.com, tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comMarch 5, 2014 

A kitchen fire killed a 55-year-old woman in her Smiths Station, Ala. home Wednesday afternoon, Smiths Station Volunteer Fire Department officials said Thursday.

Chief Bob Johnson said Carrie Rhodes was dead when firefighters arrived at her Lee Road 220 home at about 3 p.m. Investigators determined that the fire began in the kitchen, possibly resulting from unattended food. There was significant damage to the area where the fire began.

Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said Rhodes' body has been transported to Montgomery for autopsy.

No firefighters were injured during the blaze. No other occupants were known to reside at Rhodes' home.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service