1. Howard "Bo" Callaway dies at 86: Howard "Bo" Callaway died March 15, nearly two years after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage. He was laid to rest Thursday, when more than 500 family, friends, military leaders, business executives and politicians gathered to remember the former congressman, West Point graduate, Secretary of the Army, Republican Leader and businessman.
2. Soldier saves child, teen from Chattahoochee River current: When 2nd Lt. James Lamoreaux spotted two boys struggling in the current on March 15, he didn't wait for authorities to arrive. He jumped in and saved them both. Fire Marshal Ricky Shores said if it wasn't for Lamoreaux, both boys would likely have drowned.
3. Russell County High's Jana Hobbs dies in traffic wreck: Sixteen-year-old Jana Hobbs died Monday when her Mitsubishi Eclipse was T-boned at the intersection of U.S. Highway 431 and Uchee Hill Highway. Hobbs' family and friends said she was a manager on the girls basketball team and worked at Carmike Wynnson 10. Alabama State Troopers are investigating the cause of the crash.
4. Olympic gold medalist Shannon Szabados starts for Cottonmouths: After arriving in Columbus on March 12, Shannon Szabados became the first woman in SPHL history to play in a game when she started in goal March 15. Although the Snakes lost 4-3, Szabados recorded 27 saves.
5. Woman betrayed by friend who steals her tax return: Mary Allen, 24, pleaded guilty to robbery Monday and was given a 10-year sentence, with two to serve for her role in setting up her longtime friend and conspiring to steal $3,000 from her. Alicia Gonzalez, who pointed a pistol at the victim, pled guilty to rovvery and using a firearm to commit a felony. She was sentenced to 15 years in prison with six to serve.
A 12-year-old boy told police Tuesday morning that a man who was masturbating at Gentian Boulevard bathroom urinal beckoned the child to come over, according to a Columbus Police report. Read more at ledger-enquirer.com