Police: Teen driver admitted involvement in fatal crash after fleeing scene

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comApril 21, 2014 

Quinton Ransom

Bruised and sporting broken teeth, Quinton Ransom begged multiple Columbus residents for asylum after fatally flinging 17-year-old Tyrique Huling through the sunroof of a stolen car, police testified during a Monday Recorder's Court hearing.

Ransom, 18, faced 20 charges in connection with the deadly March 2013 crash, including murder and two counts of vehicular homicide. He was arrested Friday at his Emerson Avenue home.

The 2005 Nissan Maxima Ransom is accused of driving was first reported stolen in late February by a Columbus resident, who left the vehicle to warm up while she prepared for work. Such unoccupied vehicles are common targets for car thieves, according to Ledger-Enquirer reports.

On March 1, police spotted the stolen Nissan driving near Luna Drive and Barcelona Drive at about 7:50 p.m. When an officer attempted a traffic stop, the driver took off at a high rate of speed, according to court testimony.

Minutes later, a bystander told officers a 5-foot-11 man was seen fleeing the scene of a Luna Drive accident. There, police found the Nissan crashed into two mailboxes with such force that it flipped, ejecting the passenger through the sunroof. A few bricks from a mailbox destroyed during impact flew more than 500 feet, damaging nearby vehicles and property, an officer told the court.

In the year that followed, authorities found several witnesses who testified Ransom — known by the street name "Q-man" — admitted to driving the Nissan within hours of the crash. Some witnesses claimed Ransom began making calls minutes after wrecking the Nissan, officers said.

According to court testimony, Ransom called several people in the wake of the accident, begging for sanctuary during his flight from police. He arrived at one Columbus resident's door, chest bruised from the steering wheel. Police later matched Ransom's broken teeth to rumors that he swallowed his front teeth on impact.

He also allegedly confessed to an inmate at the Aaron Cohn Regional Youth Detention Center while serving time for a separate, undisclosed charge, officers told the court. Police also found several confessions after serving search warrants on numerous Facebook accounts.

Police charged Ransom with murder because Huling's death resulted from recklessly driving a stolen vehicle and evading arrest. The two vehicular homicide charges stem both from fleeing the scene of the accident and the high rate of speed, the officer told the court.

Judge Michael Cielinski set no bond on the murder charge during Monday's hearing. A $127,550 bond was set for the remaining 19 charges.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service