Court: January homicide suspect may be involved in gang activity

tstevens@ledger-enquirer.comMay 12, 2014 

Anthony Walker

Marvine Bailey's fatal shooting was not the first time police say Anthony Deshon Walker opened fire on Forsyth Street, according to court testimony.

Walker, 22, was arrested Saturday at a Fairview Drive home, more than three months after Bailey's death.

He pleaded not guilty to murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime charges during a Monday morning Recorder's Court hearing.

Police were dispatched Bailey's 2300 block home shortly before 8 p.m., Jan. 25, after learning the victim had been shot in chest. Her mother, Sallie Bailey, later told the Ledger-Enquirer her daughter was walking between two Forsyth Street homes when suspects opened fire.

During the next few weeks, detectives connected Walker to the shooting through several witnesses and cell phone records which contradicted the defendant's statements, according to court testimony.

Witnesses told police a man called "Ant" participated in at least four area shootings in the week before Bailey's homicide. On Jan. 18, unknown suspects fired shots outside Bailey's Forsyth Street home, an officer told the court. Days before that, shots were fired outside a home near Bailey's address.

A stolen rental vehicle recovered in Harris County also pointed police toward a 23rd Street address connected to Walker, according to testimony. There, they found a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson magazine, with rounds matching those used in Bailey's shooting. A witness also told police that Walker was seen hiding a .40 caliber pistol in a trash can not long after the shooting took place.

After police located Walker on Jan. 30, Walker repeatedly denied he was in the Forsyth Street area on the night of the shooting. Instead, he claimed he stayed alone inside an 11th Avenue home — where he allegedly never left and was never visited.

But Walker's cell phone record belied his statements, police say. When investigators checked with Walker's provider, his cell phones GPS records showed he was within 1.5 miles of Forsyth Street — more than a mile closer than the 11th Avenue address.

When police confronted Walker about this discrepancy, he maintained that he never left the 11th Avenue home. He also accused Bailey's son of involvement in the shooting, though he claimed not to know many details of the crime.

Police say Walker and other persons connected to the case are involved in "street gang activities." Witnesses also told police suspects were possibly arguing about a woman the night of Bailey's death.

The woman's identity was not specified. Officers also did not specify a gang name.

Judge Michael Cielinski set no bond on Walker's murder charge. A $20,000 bond was set for Walker's possession of a firearm charge. His case will be forwarded to the Muscogee County Superior Court.

Several members of the victim's family, wearing shirts bearing Bailey's face, attended the Monday morning hearing. Family members declined statement.

Ledger-Enquirer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service