The St. Maarten prosecutor on the Michael Jason Registe case doesn't believe any problems exist with extraditing the Columbus man charged with the slaying of two Hardaway High School graduates back to Georgia.
District Attorney Gray Conger spoke with Rienk Mud last week. While Mud hasn't yet seen any documentation from the U.S. Department of Justice, he told Conger he didn't believe there would be any issues with getting the 25-year-old to Columbus.
"We've sent all our stuff up there," Conger said of the affidavits he's sent to Washington, over the past few weeks.
Registe, a former Spencer High School athlete, is accused of the July 20, 2007, execution-style shooting deaths of Randy Newton Jr., 21, and Bryan Kilgore, 20. Both men were found in the parking lot of Cross Creek Apartments on Steam Mill Road. Newton died at the scene, and Kilgore died the following morning. The motive, Police Chief Ricky Boren said, was robbery.
Never miss a local story.
Authorities believe Registe fled to the U.S. Virgin Islands shortly after the shootings. He was captured Aug. 27 on the Dutch-controlled portion of the Caribbean island of St. Maarten.
The documents sent to Washington by Conger --- affidavits by himself and police officers, pictures and fingerprints of Registe and legal assurances the death penalty won't be sought for Registe --- were prepared under the assumption that Registe wouldn't waive extradition. If he had, Conger wouldn't have had to send the papers.
Conger previously said a waiver of the death penalty was a large part of the documentation sent to Washington. The Dutch authorities required death be taken off the table as a potential punishment for Registe as part of the deal in his extradition.
The papers sent to the Justice Department will now be translated into Dutch. The translation and the original papers will then be sent to the State Department, which will make the formal extradition request, Conger said.
The district attorney doesn't know how long it will take to translate the papers into Dutch.