The 81st Regional Support Command will officially move the 98th Training Division from Rochester, N.Y., to Fort Benning during a ceremony Saturday.
After serving in Rochester for 53 years, the unit responsible for initial entry training for new soldiers will find a new home at the Maneuver Center of Excellence. The unit will be located at the Armed Forces Reserve Center, Building 4400, on the Old Cusseta Highway.
The building was constructed as part of the Base Realignment and Closure process.
At 9 a.m. Saturday, the building will be named in honor of Lt. Col. Elmer W. Heindl, a Catholic chaplain who served during World War II in Guadalcanal, the Solomons and the Philippines from 1942-1945.
Heindl was ordained a priest in 1936 and served as the assistant pastor of St. Andrew's in Rochester before volunteering to join the Army in 1942.