Frying chicken and falling asleep has left a Lawyers Lane home damaged and a pet dog dead in Columbus.
Firefighters found the house in flames and a fire in the attic after fire ignited about 1:07 p.m. Wednesday.
It took about 30 firefighters 15 minutes to get the fire under control.
The fire gutted parts of the house and a wall collapsed while firefighters battled the blaze, said Fire Marshal Ricky Shores of the Columbus Department of Fire & Emergency Medical Services.
Never miss a local story.
Shores said the fire got into the attic of the wood-framed house.
Roscoe Boutwell, an elderly home owner, wasn't injured in the fire. He placed some chicken in a pot on the stove and fell asleep while it as cooking.
After the fire was under control, fire officials called Animal Control about 3 p.m. to remove a dog found in the burning house.
No damage estimate was available but Shores said it would be significant.
Police blocked both lanes in a section of Lawyers Lane while firefighters battled the blaze.