July is National Ice Cream Month, and with that comes National Ice Cream Day this Sunday, July 16.
A lot of holidays like this can seem made-up, but this one is the real deal. The celebration was signed into law by President Ronald Reagan in 1984.
“Ice cream is a nutritious and wholesome food, enjoyed by over ninety percent of the people in the United States,” he wrote.
To help you celebrate that “nutritious and wholesome food,” check out a few of the best freebies and discounts around town for ice cream this weekend.
▪ McDonald’s: McDonald’s is offering free soft serve cones all day, as long as you have the McDonald’s smartphone app installed. If you get your cone between 2 and 5 p.m., you have a chance to win free ice cream for life.
▪ Kilwin’s on Broadway: Buy one single scoop of ice cream, get the second scoop for half price.
▪ Planet Pops: Get 50 cents off a Planet Pops ice pop at their walk-up store on 12th Street.
▪ Baskin-Robbins: Baskin-Robbins is promising mysterious, exclusive National Ice Cream Day offers. To get them, you’ll need to use the Baskin-Robbins app this Sunday.
▪ Marble Slab Creamery: Get $2 off every purchase of $10 or more all July.
▪ Steak n’ Shake: Use a printable coupon to grab a buy one, get one free Kit Kat Milkshake.
▪ Wendy’s: Get a Frosty for only 50 cents until August 25.
Scott Berson: 706-571-8578, @ScottBersonLE