A Molotov cocktail was thrown near a doorway leading into a house in Foxfire subdivision off Schomburg Road after midnight Saturday as the family slept, Columbus Fire & Emergency Medical Services Chief Fire Marshal Greg Lang said Monday.
The device, consisting of a glass bottle with a flammable liquid and material to plug up the bottle, has been sent to a state crime laboratory for analysis, Lang said.
The fire, which burned itself out, caused an estimated $1,000 damage and no injuries, but Lang said it could have been disastrous.
The family discovered the damage when they awoke Sunday morning, he said. The case is under investigation.