The National Infantry Museum on Fort Benning's Baltzell Avenue will permanently close its doors to the public at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 15. The museum is closing to begin the transition to its new location on South Lumpkin Road, which is scheduled to open on Nov. 11.
Built in 1923, the current museum was originally the Fort Benning hospital complex. It was designated as the National Infantry Museum following the opening of Martin Army Community Hospital in 1958.
Other sites located on the Fort Benning Historical Trail, to include the monuments located on Sacrifice Field and the military equipment currently located in front of the current site will remain open to the public.
The monuments will eventually be moved to the site of the new museum.