A driver passing by a Wilson Street house fire early Monday morning may have saved the owner's life.
Columbus Fire and EMS got the call to 4379 Wilson St. at 3:19 a.m., said Fire Marshal Thomas Streeter. When they arrived at the home near Macon Road, they found visible flames high in the building.
"They ruled it undetermined, but electrical overload cannot be ruled out," Streeter said of the fire's cause.
The home's owner, Cindy Russell, was awoken by a driver who saw the flames while passing. Knocking on her door, she awoke and escaped the blaze, Streeter said. No one was injured, though the $120,000 single-story home was completely destroyed.