A fire that ripped through an apartment building Wednesday night sent flames into the sky near Shaw High School, though no one was injured in the blaze, fire officials said.
Firefighters responded to The Links, 4600 S. Stadium Drive, around 5:40 p.m., said Battalion Chief Terry Herring.
“I was on J.R. Allen and you could look through the woods and see the smoke and some of the flames,” he said.
A woman was cooking in a downstairs apartment and had left the kitchen with grease on the stove. When she returned, there were flames. She tried to put it out with a towel, though the flames spread. She grabbed her child and left, Herring said.
Never miss a local story.
The fire rose through the floor and into the apartment above it, then spread to the attic and up through the roof, he added.
“The guys got up there and got it stopped in the attic,” Herring said. “We were there about two hours.”
The fire was limited to the six-apartment building. Three of the apartments were burned. The other three were untouched, the chief said.