Carlos Brown, the 26-year-old who faced murder charges in the death of Maurice Hollis, was acquitted of all counts this evening.
Brown faced life in prison if he had been convicted in the July 19, 2009, death of Hollis, 24. Hollis was shot at a Main Street apartment during what prosecutors have called a botched robbery.
Senior Assistant District Attorney LaRae Moore told jurors that someone can be convicted of murder even though they didn't pull the trigger of a gun. If someone participated in the crime, made others commit a crime or helped them, they can be considered a party to that crime, she said.
Defense attorney Michael Garner attacked the victim's brother in his closing arguments. He said the brother testified that Hollis called him after the shooting and told him it was a robbery gone bad and that he was the get away driver.
Never miss a local story.
"The only incriminating evidence against (Hollis) is a fabrication," Garner said. "To use a lie and use that to convict this man is a travesty."
Brown, Kubiat Ekperikpe, 34, and Clarence Mahone, 24, still face murder charges in connection with the shooting. They'll be prosecuted separately.