Former Columbus Councilor Julius Hunter, who had applied for a position on the city’s Recorder’s Court bench, has been ruled ineligible for the position, City Attorney Clifton Fay said today.
“He has to wait until the lapse of one year from when he went out of office until he can hold a compensated appointed position,” Fay said. “Julius is not eligible to serve until Jan. 1, 2012, so I’ve informed all the councilors and we will ask him to withdraw his application.”
The city charter states: “No former councilor shall hold any compensated appointive office in the government until one (1) year after the expiration of the term for which he or she was elected.”
Senior Recorder’s Court Judge Michael Cielinski, along with recorder Mary Buckner and recorders pro tem Michael Joyner and Cynthia Maisano are up for reappointment. Three local attorneys, Hunter, Kyle Fischer and Ed Jenkins have submitted their names for consideration for one of the positions.
Never miss a local story.
Cielinski has come under some criticism of his courtroom demeanor and some, including former Mayor Frank Martin, have said a faction on Columbus Council want him off the bench. Martin said last week that some councilors wanted to appoint “a friend” to the position.
Hunter had served three terms on council until he was defeated by Bruce Huff last year. He relinquished his District 3 seat on Jan. 1.
Stay with ledger-enquirer.com for more on the story.