A fire that damaged six apartments in Avalon Apartments on Cusseta Road last week has been ruled accidental, fire marshal Ricky Shores said.
Shores said the fire was started by a lit cigarette on the balcony of an apartment on the fourth floor. The fire then spread to the attic, damaging six apartments. An additional 18 units suffered water damage, he said.
Shores estimated to damage to the building to be about $500,000. About 20 families were left without homes after the March 8 fire. Most found places to stay with relatives and a few were put up in hotels by the American Red Cross.