A second suspect has been arrested in connection with the shootings that took place at Club Majestic on New Year’s Day, according to a Columbus Police Department report.
Shaquille Porter, 20, was arrested Thursday afternoon on outstanding warrants related to a theft by receiving stolen property charge.
Porter, along with Dequandrea Truitt, 21, is a suspect in a New Year’s Day shooting which left six people injured and one man dead.
According to reports, gunfire erupted inside Club Majestic and in the parking lot at about 2:30 a.m. During the shooting, Charles Foster Jr., 24, was killed. Police have connected Porter with the aggravated assault of one patron, who was shot in the head and shoulders.
The victim was later transported to The Medical Center, treated and released.
Porter was charged with probation violation, murder, possession of a firearm during a crime and five counts of aggravated assault. He was taken to Muscogee County Jail.
Truitt is being held without bond for the murder charge and had a bond set for $75,000 on other charges during a Jan. 8 hearing.
Truitt said during his hearing that he didn’t shoot anybody, and told the court that he did shoot his gun in the parking lot a few times.
Club Majestic has been the center of an ongoing investigation, several arrests and public concern since the New Year’s Day shootings.
Columbus Mayor Teresa Tomlinson has started the process of attempting to shut down Club Majestic, saying the business is a public nuisance. Tomlinson’s office sent a letter notifying club owner James Weaver that his club “is the chronic site of criminal and derelict activity.” Along with the letter, two dozen reports involving Club Majestic in the last year were sent.
Weaver and club manager Nathaniel Smith were both arrested Jan. 31 for operating without an Alcoholic Beverage Control card. Smith, in addition, was charged with nine counts of allowing underage patrons into the club. The arrests were part of an investigation into the shooting, in which many of the victims were 16- or 17-year-old boys.
On Feb. 10, about 70 community members organized a march to have the Cusseta Road nightclub closed.