A possible grease fire caused at least $30,000 worth of damage to Mike & Ed's Barbecue on Manchester Expressway, Columbus Fire Department officials said.
Deputy Fire Chief Greg Lang said the fire started after a Mike & Ed's employee left the restaurant at about 7:40 a.m. to take care of unspecified business. Sometime during that, the barbecue pit caught fire, which spread to other parts of the structure.
"A guy got to (Mike and Ed's) this morning and started cooking," Lang said. "He extinguished the pit at that time, however, I guess some grease that had gotten rolled over, got into the pit and started a fire."
Fire fighters were finishing up at the scene at about 9 a.m., Fire Marshal Ricky Shores said.
Never miss a local story.
The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, Lang said. Damage to the 2626 Manchester Expressway building is estimated between $30,000 and $40,000.