Food left unattended on a stove was the blame for a fire that sent some elderly residents of Farrfield Manor filing outside the Farr Road complex Saturday.
No one was injured in the fire that was doused by the sprinkler system by the time three fire trucks responded to the independent living apartment complex at 419 Farr Road.
Capt. Brian Russell of the Columbus Department of Fire and Emergency Medical Services said a fire sprinkler head came off after the stove fire activated the sprinkler system.
“It went out immediate,” Russell said of the fire. “Mainly, it just got a lot of water on the ground.”
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters were still on the scene at 3 p.m. to keep water from entering nearby apartments. Russell said none of the residents will be displaced by the fire.
“Everybody will be back in the building here shortly,” he said.
Chris Ragon, communications director for the non-profit Retirement Housing Foundation, said the damage was confined to the one apartment. The complex has about 70 units.
“I was very happy that no one was injured,” she said. “I know that the EMTs were there as a precaution to make sure no one was overcome by the activity.”