A kitchen fire killed a 55-year-old woman in her Smiths Station, Ala. home Wednesday afternoon, Smiths Station Volunteer Fire Department officials said Thursday.
Chief Bob Johnson said Carrie Rhodes was dead when firefighters arrived at her Lee Road 220 home at about 3 p.m. Investigators determined that the fire began in the kitchen, possibly resulting from unattended food. There was significant damage to the area where the fire began.
Lee County Coroner Bill Harris said Rhodes' body has been transported to Montgomery for autopsy.
No firefighters were injured during the blaze. No other occupants were known to reside at Rhodes' home.