It happens every Christmas.
Hospital emergency rooms get busy.
Katie Berry, manager of the pediatric emergency department at Midtown Medical Center, said she expects plenty of business again this year.
"We always see a lot of broken bones right after Christmas," she said.
Never miss a local story.
There are other injuries, as well, some more serious.
Berry said many problems can be avoided if parents follow some safety steps.
She said when getting a bicycle or scooter, children need to have a helmet that fits well.
"Even if the helmet fits properly, it must be strapped on correctly," she said. "I see a lot of kids come in with lacerations from falling off scooters."
She would like to see parents have their children also wear knee and elbow pads.
"Get them in the habit early," Berry said.
Trampolines are a popular gift at Christmas. They can be dangerous, and Berry recommends getting one that is enclosed with good padding on the side.
A lot of toy boxes will be ripped open this week, and all state the appropriate age for what is inside.
"Read that label," Berry said. "Even big toys can have tiny pieces on which someone can choke."Parents need to make sure younger children do not get to a toy belonging to an older brother or sister.
Make sure all doll parts, such as the eyes, are applied tightly.
Silly Bandz, small rubber bands that come in a variety of shapes, are often swallowed by little ones.
"We have a lot trouble with that," she said.
Many Christmas gifts come with button batteries. Berry said parents need to ensure those are secured properly and ones not being used are kept in a safe place.
"Children choke on them. They can also burn the lining of the esophagus," she said.
Berry said one must be careful about small items such as a marble being swallowed.
"The old school thinking is that whatever is swallowed will pass but not everything does," she said.
Parents need to look for items with sharp edges, such as LEGO pieces.
All art materials, paints and crayons, should be checked to make sure they are non-toxic.
"They usually are but it is still smart to check," she said.
Parents need to monitor the use of any item that is electrical. "You know those Easy Bake Ovens really bake. They're hot," she added.
Also electrical cords can be dangerous.
She said the emergency room does not see as many injuries from BB guns as they once did but children need to be instructed on how to use those or any weapon properly.
Parent supervision is important with these and as well as many other gifts.
If you like to do fireworks at Christmas, Berry said to remember to use long-stick sparklers.
"If your child is hurt or you believe they have swallowed something they should not have, don't hesitate to get medical attention," Berry said.