Authorities holding a press conference after double-homicide suspect Michael Registe was returned to Columbus today said the 26-year-old will be held in the Muscogee County jail, pending trial on the charges against him.
Having already been indicted in the July 20, 2007, execution-style deaths of Randy Newton Jr., 21, and Bryan Kilgore, 20, Registe next must face a judge for his arraignment, a reading of the charges against him. That has not yet been scheduled, officials said.
Relatives of the two victims attended the news conference, but reporters were not allowed to speak to them.
Earlier Jan Taylor, Kilgore's mother, said: “We are just happy that Registe is finally being brought back to the U.S. He will face a jury of his peers and justice will be served. None of this brings Bryan and Randy back to us, but it is a type of closure for the families.”
Never miss a local story.
Handcuffed with his hands at his hips, wearing tan pants and shirt and red and white sneakers, Registe looked straight ahead as two FBI agents and a Columbus police officer escorted him off a plane and to a convoy of vehicles authorities had waiting for him today. The business plane carrying the murder suspect landed at the Columbus Metropolitan Airport at 5:34 p.m.
Authorities say he fled the country after the double homicide. He had been listed by the FBI as one of its 10 Most Wanted Fugitives. He was captured Aug. 27 on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten, where he has remained incarcerated fighting his extradition. St. Maarten is an island in the Netherlands Antilles.
We'll have updates on his arrival right here at www.ledger-enquirer.com.