A small kitchen fire at The Medical Center Monday morning caused some to be evacuated from the hospital. Read about it here:
Some parts of The Medical Center in Columbus were evacuated Monday morning because of a kitchen fire, though no one was injured, authorities said.
Firefighters were called to the hospital at 707 Center St. at 8:55 a.m., said Columbus Fire and EMS Deputy Chief Greg Lang. They arrived three minutes later and extinguished the small fire in a basement kitchen.
“All the preliminary indications show that it started in the garbage can, by the cooking range,” Land said. “That’s what it appears to be.”
Some parts of the first floor of the hospital were evacuated, though no patient care areas were affected by the fire, hospital spokeswoman Marion Scott said.
The fire was limited to the garbage can and cooking range, Lang said. Firefighters had to cut a hole in part of the ceiling to ventilate the smoke, and fans were placed in parts of the building to disperse it.
— Staff writer Sara Pauff contributed to this report
Never miss a local story.