Filling the principal position at Allen Elementary School and Rothschild Middle School, as well, as the appointment of a chief student services officer, are among agenda items for the Monday meeting of the Muscogee County School Board.
The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at the Public Education Center on Macon Road,
Superintendent David Lewis has recommended Angela Vickers, the supervisor of educational leadership for Hillsborough County School in Tampa, Fla., to replace Melvin Blackwell as chief student services officer.
At a work session last week, Lewis said he does not personally know Vickers but that she comes highly recommended, has a “wealth of experience” and is “the best fit for our needs right now.”
District 8 representative Frank Myers complained that board members do not get to meet the candidate before they are asked to vote.
He also said, “it is time to start hiring from within.”
District 5 representative Laurie McRae asked for more information about where Vickers has worked.
Being recommended for the job of principal at Allen Elementary is Felicia Thompson, an educator for 15 years who is currently the assistant principal at South Columbus Elementary School.
The choice of Lewis for principal at Rothschild Middle School is Terri Myers.An educator for 25 years, Myers has been a teacher at East Columbus Magnet Academy, English academic coach at Jordan Vocational High School, and School Improvement Grant (SIG) administrator at Spencer High School.
In other business:
▪ Lewis is recommending Amber Hurley as the SIG administrator at Fox Elementary. She is currently SIG academic coach at Fox.
▪ Jessie Warren, the director of system services at Eufaula City Schools, is being recommended for assistant principal at J.D. Davis Elementary School.
▪ Lewis is asking the board to renew the contract for Catapult Academy which provides academic services for students who are not high school graduates and have dropped out of school. Since its inception in 2015, 200 students have graduated from Catapult Academy. The budgetary impact is expected to be $432,000 annually. That is subject to approval of the FY18 budget.
▪ The board will take a look at proposed athletic prices for athletic events. The proposed price for high school football games is $8. The basketball price is $7. Everything else is $5 except for cross country which is $1. Middle school tickets for students are $3 except for cross country which is $1. Adult tickets are $5 for every sport except cross country which is $1.
▪ Scheduled to speak at the public agenda are Ollie Tarver, Shanda Andrews and Theresa El-Amin. The subject matter was not given.