Columbus High School, Northside High School, Harris County High School, Callaway High School and LaGrange High School are among 357 schools named as Advanced Placement Honor Schools by State School Superintendent Dr. John Barge today.
Columbus High was honored in three categories.
"Georgia has much to be proud of when it comes to the success of Advanced Placement," Superintendent Barge said in a news release. "Much of this success can be attributed to the dedication to rigor and excellence at each of our AP Honor Schools."
According to the release, Advanced Placement (AP) classes and exams are administered by the College Board, which also administers the SAT. AP classes offer rigorous college-level learning options to students in high school. Students who receive a 3, 4 or 5 on AP exams may receive college credit.
The 2012 AP Honor Schools are named in five categories, based on the results of 2011 AP classes and exams (AP Honor Schools are attached):
- AP CHALLENGE SCHOOLS: Schools of 900 or fewer students with students testing in four of the core areas (English, math, science, and social studies)
- AP ACCESS & SUPPORT SCHOOLS: Schools with at least 30% of their AP exams taken by students who identified themselves as African- American and/or Hispanic and 30% of all AP exams earning scores of 3 or higher.
- AP MERIT SCHOOLS: Schools with at least 20% of the student population taking AP exams and at least 50% of all AP exams earning scores of three (3) or higher
- AP STEM SCHOOLS: Schools with students testing in at least two (2) AP math courses and two (2) AP science courses (AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Computer Science)
- AP STEM ACHIEVEMENT SCHOOLS: Schools with students testing in at least 2 AP math courses and 2 AP science courses and at least 40% of the exam scores on AP math and AP science exams earning scores of three (3) or higher.
Columbus High School was honored as a stem achievement school, a stem school and a merit school.
Northside High School, Harris County High and LaGrange High School were honored as stem schools.
Callaway High School was honored as a challenge school.