Cusseta Road Elementary students and staff are moving back to the classrooms after spending part of this morning in the gym after a gas leak was reported at the school.
The students and staff were safe, Muscogee County School District communications director Valerie Fuller said in an email, while fire department and the gas company officials checked the building.
"A hot water heater had a small leak and a small control box in the kitchen have been shut off," Fuller said in the email sent at 9:34 a.m. "A flow test will be performed to be sure there are no other leaks before clearing the school administrators to send students to class."
At 9:57 a.m., Fuller emailed an update: "Students and staff are moving back to the classrooms while the gas is shut off and the water heater is in the process of being repaired."
Never miss a local story.
The students and staff were in the gym for about an hour, Fuller said.