The Muscogee County School board is expected to vote Monday on a school calendar for the 2016-2017 school term.
The meeting is at 6 p.m. in the Muscogee County Public Education Center on Macon Road.
In the calendar proposed by superintendent David Lewis, the first day of classes would be Aug. 8 and the final day May 19.
The Thanksgiving break would be Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 23-25, instead of the entire week. The school district’s 19-person calendar committee chose that path with the rationale being most parents are not off on Monday and Tuesday so a break lasting a week would be a burden for those who must find daycare.
At a work session last week, District 4 representative Naomi Buckner said many people have vacations planned for that week, and she wanted to see other options.
In other business:
▪ Lewis is seeking permission to purchase land at 1906 Cherokee Avenue for a parking lot to be constructed for Columbus High School students.
The selling price of the land owned by R. Walker Garrett is $250,000.
▪ Also, Lewis is recommending Shaw High School principal Michael S. Barden for the position of senior director of technology learning and support.
▪ Donovan Granville and John Thomas Boyd II are nominees for the Muscogee County Library Board.
▪ The school board will give a resolution recognizing the 85th anniversary of Spencer High School.
▪ The board will honor the Columbus High School debate teams which won the state championship.