This week’s high school football games did not lead to much change in our latest rankings, though it did show how dangerous some of the mid-tier teams can be.
Squads like Hardaway and Carver showed off just how potent their offenses can be given the right circumstances. Some teams did work their way up the rankings, such as Brookstone, which looks to be on the right track in head coach Blair Harrison’s rebuild.
Here’s the latest Rundown. All games are on Friday unless otherwise indicated:
1. Central Record: 5-0 (2-0) Last Week: W 46-19 vs Opelika This Week: at Enterprise, 8 p.m.
We usually gloss over the Red Devils’ triumphs in the Rundown, so it’s worth looking at the Red Devils’ dominating win over one of their rivals. Five-star recruit Justyn Ross broke the game open for Central, reeling in a 43-yard touchdown and taking a punt return for a 57-yard score. The Red Devils will face a tough test at Enterprise, which is the only region game head coach Jamey DuBose has ever lost with the team.
2. Manchester Record: 6-0 (3-0) Last Week: W 50-0 at Central-Talbotton This Week: at Pacelli, 7:30 p.m.
3. Northside Record: 5-1 (2-1) Last Week: W 49-0 vs Columbus This Week: Bye Week
4. Hardaway Record: 3-3 (2-1) Last Week: W 28-6 at Westover This Week: Bye Week
5. Spencer Record: 3-2 (0-0) Last Week: Bye Week This Week: vs Jordan (Kinnett Stadium), 7:30 p.m.
6. Brookstone Record: 5-1 (3-0) Last Week: W 61-14 at Pacelli This Week: vs Marion County, 7:30 p.m.
After a tough loss in Week 1, the Cougars have ripped through the regular season, which now includes a 47-point drubbing of rival Pacelli. Brookstone has a tough task Friday in stopping running back Travon Matthews and Marion County, but it will go a long way in showing how Brookstone matches up with playoff-quality opponents.
7. Marion County Record: 5-1 (2-1) Last Week: W 42-8 vs Greenville This Week: at Brookstone, 7:30 p.m.
8. Carver Record: 2-4 (2-1) Last Week: W 46-7 vs Shaw This Week: Bye Week
9. Harris County Record: 3-3 (0-0) Last Week: W 44-13 vs Worth County This Week: Bye Week
10. Chattahoochee County Record: 2-3 (2-2) Last Week: L 21-18 at Pelham This Week: vs Miller County, 7:30 p.m.
11. Glenwood Record: 3-4 (0-2) Last Week: L 12-6 vs Pike Liberal Arts This Week: at Edgewood Academy, 8 p.m.
12. Jordan Record: 1-4 (0-0) Last Week: Bye Week This Week: vs Spencer (Kinnett Stadium), 7:30 p.m.
13. Calvary Christian Record: 3-4 (2-0) Last Week: L 51-28 at Community Christian This Week: Bye Week
14. Russell County Record: 2-4 (1-2) Last Week: L 20-19 at Chilton County This Week: vs Stanhope Elmore, 8 p.m.
15. Kendrick Record: 1-5 (1-1) Last Week: W 34-31 vs Rutland (OT) This Week: Bye Week
Kudos to head coach Cedric Ware’s Cherokees, who fought back to force overtime and ultimately won for the first time since October 2015. Kendrick gets the week off before facing Pike County in a game that could give the Cherokees its first win streak since October 31, 2014.
16. Columbus Record: 1-4 (0-2) Last Week: L 49-0 vs Northside This Week: vs Shaw, 7 p.m. Thursday
17. Shaw Record: 1-5 (0-2) Last Week: L 46-7 vs Carver This Week: vs Columbus, 7 p.m. Thursday
18. Pacelli Record: 0-6 (0-3) Last Week: L 61-14 vs Brookstone This Week: vs Manchester, 7:30 p.m.
19. Smiths Station Record: 0-5 (0-3) Last Week: Bye Week This Week: at Prattville, 8 p.m.
Jordan D. Hill: 770-894-9818, @lesports