AUBURN, Ala. — Wednesday morning is upon us. You know what that means — it's time for "7 at 7" to take a look around the Southeastern Conference.
Let's dive right in.
1.Despite initially saying Connor Shaw would miss two to three weeks after injuring his shoulder in the first quarter versus Central Florida last Saturday, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier believes the senior quarterback may play this weekend when the Gamecocks take on Kentucky.
2. On the other side of that matchup, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops just wishes he knew who his quarterback will be come Saturday. However, he said it would be "reckless" to name a starter at this point. Until then, the battle between Jalen Whitlow and Maxwell Smith will continue.
Never miss a local story.
3. During a pair of addresses at the Baylor School in Chattanooga, former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said "it's going to take time" for current Volunteers head man Butch Jones to get things turned around. Fulmer said he has already come to "appreciate and respect" Jones as a man and a coach, and also touched on Tennessee's matchup with Georgia this weekend.
4. Speaking of the Bulldogs, after playing three top-10 teams in its first four games, they are trying to guard against a letdown as they head on the road to face the Volunteers this weekend.
5. With a matchup against Arkansas looming on Saturday, Florida defensive tackle Damien Jacobs took a swipe at the Razorbacks' offensive line on Tuesday, saying Bret Bielema's big men up front play "a little dirty."
6. After he stumbled during the team's pregame "Hog Walk" last Saturday, Bielema said he knew the video was going to become a viral sensation. He also joked that he thinks he "showed my athleticism." (Or his lack thereof, one would surmise.) Video of the fall is provided at the bottom of this post.
7. During his weekly press conference earlier this week, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin is already having to deflect talk about the Southern California job. Many believe he's on USC athletic director Pat Haden's short list of candidates, but Franklin refused to answer any questions whether he or his agent have been contacted by the Trojans yet.
More 7 at 7: