The University of Georgia has made Carver quarterback Devin Burns another scholarship offer, but the senior is sticking to his commitment to Maryland, according to Tigers coach Dell McGee.
The quarterback and his family spoke on the phone with Bulldogs coach Mark Richt on Monday night, and Burns met with Georgia coaches Mike Bobo, Jon Fabris, John Lilly and Stacy Searels on Tuesday but declined their offer, according to McGee.
“Devin just told them he was still committed to Maryland,” McGee said. “His heart is in Maryland. He said he appreciated the offer, but that he was going to stick with his commitment to Maryland.”
Burns is slated to enroll at Maryland in January, according to McGee. The quarterback was not available for comment after school Wednesday.
Never miss a local story.
Burns found himself at the center of a recruiting controversy earlier this season after Georgia rescinded its original offer. He was in Athens, Ga., intending to commit in person with his family at his side when a Georgia assistant informed him the offer no longer stood.
McGee then told Georgia coaches they were no longer welcome to recruit at his school.
McGee has said he was making a stand after the school failed to let him know Burns’ offer had changed before the visit, causing the quarterback and his family embarrassment.
Burns shrugged off the incident and committed to Maryland shortly after the Georgia snub. Since then, McGee has welcomed the Bulldogs staff back but said he stands by the initial decision.
“It was never about the publicity or anything like that,” McGee, a former Auburn cornerback, said. “It was about doing what was right.
“I like Georgia; I like the SEC. I’m sure very soon we’ll have some of our players go there. I just didn’t think what they did was right.”
Georgia also has offered Carver senior offensive lineman David Beasley, who is already committed to Clemson, as well as junior running back Isaiah Crowell and junior defensive lineman Gabe Wright. Both juniors have listed Georgia among their top choices.