ATHENS - The question of whether Bacarri Rambo is suspended for Saturday's opener was finally put directly to Georgia head coach Mark Richt on Monday.
A reporter told Richt there was a report (on UGA's student radio station) that Rambo, the leading returning tackler from last year, was suspended for the Boise State.
"Is that right?" Richt said of the report. "No, I'm not gonna address that. At the appropriate time if anybody has anything like that I'll let you know, though."
And when might that be?
Never miss a local story.
"I don't know, I gotta figure that out," Richt said. "I'm still working on that."
The only player known to be suspended for the opener is junior tailback Carlton Thomas. Richt confirmed the suspension after it was reported in July. The fact that he would not confirm a suspension in this instance would mean it's not true, or it's not decided yet, or it is decided and they're keeping it under wraps.
Rambo has not been made available to the media so far this preseason. He was requested again on Monday and not brought in for interviews.
The junior safety was considered a foregone conclusion to start for Georgia, after starting every game last year and ranking second on the team in tackles. Athlon Magazine tabbed Rambo as a preseason second-team All-SEC pick for this season.
But Rambo has been demoted to second team, and was not participating in the early portion of drills in Monday's practice. Richt already said that Shawn Williams and Sanders Commings would be the first-team safeties.