ATHENS - If Georgia's updated roster is accurate, then a number of key defensive players are lighter, while the offensive lineman are much heavier.
Georgia players officially report on Thursday, but have been around the team already most of the summer. The team on Tuesday updated its roster to reflect new heights, weights and in a few cases a new position.
The most interesting thing is that a lot of Georgia defensive players have followed Jeremy Pruitt's edict to drop weight. The most pronounced is John Atkins, the redshirt freshman defensive tackle who dropped 23 pounds off his previously listed weight, and is now 299 pounds.
A few more:
Never miss a local story.
- Inside linebacker Amarlo Herrera dropped 13 pounds, and is now 231. (But fellow inside linebacker Ramik Wilson actually added six pounds, and is now 237.)
- Junior defensive end Josh Dawson has dropped down to 266 pounds, after being listed at 275.
- Senior safety Corey Moore dropped eight pounds, down to 206.
- Junior cornerback Sheldon Dawson dropped 10 pounds, and is now 180.
- A few defensive lineman slightly dropped weight: Toby Johnson dropped six pounds and is now at 300. Nose tackle Chris Mayes dropped four pounds, and is now listed at 317. And senior nose tackle Mike Thornton added six pounds, up to 296.
Some other players on defense actually added weight: Defensive end Ray Drew (8 pounds, now listed at 284), and defensive lineman James DeLoach added 11 pounds, and is now 276. And safety Tramel Terry, continuing to return from last year's ACL surgery, added 13 pounds and is now 197. Another player returning from a knee injury, defensive back Reggie Wilkerson, is 10 pound heavier, up to 181.
The outside linebackers actually mostly all added weight. Leonard Floyd is up 10 pounds to 230, Jordan Jenkins added six pounds up to 252, Davin Bellamy is now 240 pounds, up from 235, and Johnny O'Neal added 15 pounds, up to 240.
The weight gain was much more pronounced on the offensive line.
Junior tackle John Theus is now listed at 313, 15 pounds heavier than previous. But the starkest increase was junior offensive tackle Zach DeBell, who added 25 pounds, and is now 298 pounds.
Senior offensive lineman Watts Dantzler has added 13 pounds, and is now listed at 320. Senior offensive lineman Kolton Houston added seven pounds, up to 287. Guard Aulden Bynum is now 276, up from 261.
Another big gainer on offense is tailback A.J. Turman. The redshirt freshman is now up to 212 pounds, an increase of 14 pounds. Sophomore tailback Brendan Douglas added 12 pounds and is now 213.
Star tailback Todd Gurley is listed at 226 pounds, six pounds from his previously listed weight. Keith Marshall is also basically unchanged, now listed at 215, down four pounds.
Meanwhile, the new listed heights and weights for some notable freshmen:
- Defensive end Lorenzo Carter (6-6, 237).
- Tailback Nick Chubb (5-10, 228).
- Tailback Sony Michel (5-11, 208).
- Safety Dominick Sanderse (6-0, 187).
- Defensive tackle Lamont Galliard (6-2, 305).
- Cornerback Malkom Parrish (5-10, 194).
- Receiver/return specialist Isaiah McKenzie (5-8, 164).
- Tight end Jeb Blazevich (6-5, 232.)
Here are a few minor personnel notes:
- Freshman Rico Johnson is listed as a CB/WR. Johnson was recruited as a receiver, but there have been rumblings that the team will look at him on defense as well. There certainly is a lot less depth at corner than receiver.
- James DeLoach is listed as a defensive tackle. That's a bit interesting, as DeLoach was at defensive end in the spring after moving down from outside linebacker. But many of the d-line spots are interchangable, depending on the scheme, so we'll see after speaking with coaches whether it's a big deal. (Chris Mayes, for what it's worth, is listed as a nose.)
- Wilkerson is still listed as a cornerback. That doesn't mean he won't work some at safety this preseason.
- Charlie Hegedus, the walk-on transfer from N.C. State, has officially been added to the roster. He is listed as a junior, having played sparingly his first two college seasons, and is a candidate to redshirt.
And a few other players that have added weight:
- Sophomore receiver Reggie Davis is now 170 pounds, up from 159.
- Senior receiver Jonathon Rumph added 10 pounds and is now 218.
- Sophomore Brendan Langley, making the move from cornerback to receiver, added seven pounds up to 208.
- Junior receiver Malcolm Mitchell is listed five pounds heavier (195) than his previous weight.