Indoor track was last sanctioned as an AHSAA sport in 2007 and was discontinued due to a lack of facilities, according to an AHSAA news release. The regular season will begin in January 2012 with the championships to be held Feb. 3-4 at a new multi-purpose facility being built in Birmingham, Ala.
Other actions taken at the meeting:
- Approved a return, beginning in the 2011 football season, to a playoff bracket rotation that begins in the first round. South Regions 1 through 4 and North Regions 5 through 8 will rotate first-round opponents annually. North and South bracket opponents will meet only in the Super 6 finals.
- Approved a lighted American Flag display in front of the AHSAA Office Building. The display will also include the Alabama State Flag and a special AHSAA Flag currently being designed.
- Denied an appeal of Pope John Paul II High School of Huntsville in an eligibility case.
- Discussed possible alternative procedures for assigning contest officials for playoffs.
- Reviewed Legislative Proposals to be considered by member schools in February. The schools will also have the opportunity to participate in a general AHSAA survey to be conducted during the same month.
- Approved the financial reports of the 2010 Elite Eight State Volleyball Tournament, the 2010 State Cross Country Meet and the 2010 State Swimming & Diving Meet.
- Congratulated AHSAA Assistant Director Alan Mitchell for being selected the recipient of the NFHS State Association Citation to be presented in July at the NFHS National Summer Meeting in Philadelphia, Pa.