Hurricane Michael aftermath: Albany State football team hopes to inspire a community still recovering from storm
Sure, it’s about the game. But it’s also about what happens before the game — and even after it.
Since it moved in 1990 to the neutral site of A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium in Columbus, the annual football game between Albany State and Fort Valley State hasn’t been the only reason fans of these two rivals gather for the Fountain City Classic.
The days leading up to the kickoff at 2 p.m. Saturday are full of events. The festivities also continue following the final whistle. Here’s the schedule for the rest of the week:
▪ Cufflinks and Pearls & Leaders of Today and Tomorrow networking mixer, 6-9 p.m., RiverCenter for the Performing Arts, 900 Broadway: Develop professional, political and entrepreneurial relationships. Bring your business cards. Door prizes. Live entertainment. Hosted by 101.3 personality D.J. Chip. Special guest Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms. Free admission. Cash bar.
▪ Fountain City Golf Classic, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Follow Me Golf Course, 390 Baltzell Ave., Fort Benning: Shotgun start at noon. $75 entry fee. Call Robert Anderson at 706-326-5668 or Howard Pendleton at 706-575-7211.
▪ Live remote with radio personality Michael Soul, 5-7 p.m., on the median between the Columbus Marriott hotel, 800 Front Ave., and the Columbus Convention & Trade Center, 801 Front Ave.: Prizes and giveaways.
▪ Old School/New School Party, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., Columbus Convention & Trade Center, 801 Front Ave.: Foxie 105’s DJ OO Kee, DJ Trapp, DJ Kotera Jae and a special guest DJ in Ballroom A; K92.7’s DJ Michael Soul, DJ Wane Hailes, DJ Toolz, and DJ Lady T in Ballroom C. Admission $10 in advance, $15 at the door. Cash bar.
▪ Tailgate Village, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium, 600 Fourth St.: Parking $5. Tailgating $50 (4 spaces). Grassy area $50. Large tents $50. RVs and campers $150. Early bird setup is Thursday, from 3-7 p.m., if you registered ($25 online). Setup for everyone else starts Friday at 8 a.m. No golf carts or motorized vehicles allowed.
▪ Vendor Village, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium, 600 Fourth St., and 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Columbus Convention & Trade Center, 801 Front Ave.: Women’s and men’s fashion and accessories. Fraternity and sorority apparel. Jewelry. New and old CDs.
▪ Parade, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., from Colin Powell Parkway in Phenix City to Ninth Street and Broadway in Columbus: Featuring university presidents, alumni, homecoming courts, bands, students and Fountain City Classic committee.
▪ Game, 2 p.m., A.J. McClung Memorial Stadium, 600 Fourth St.: Advance tickets available at ticketmaster.com for adults $20, children/students $12. Tickets at the gate for adults $25, children/students $15. The ASU “Marching Rams Show Band” and the FVSU “Marching Blue Machine” will perform at halftime.
Mark Rice, 706-576-6272, @MarkRiceLE.