Columbus Ledger-Enquirer Logo

Rep. Sanford Bishop says all Fort Benning commanders looking into cutting costs | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

×
  • E-edition
  • Home
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Archives
    • Buy Photos and Pages
    • Special Sections
    • Contact Us
    • Plus
    • Newsletters
    • Newspaper in Education
    • Subscribe
    • Subscriber Services

    • News
    • Local News
    • Photos
    • Crime
    • Databases
    • Education
    • Job Spotlight
    • Georgia
    • Business
    • Nation/World
    • Lottery
    • Sports
    • Alabama
    • Auburn
    • Braves
    • Columbus State University
    • Cottonmouths
    • Falcons
    • Hawks
    • High Schools
    • UGA
    • Blogs & Columns
    • War Eagle Extra
    • Bulldogs Blog
    • Valley Preps
    • Guerry Clegg
    • Politics
    • Elections
    • ToDo
    • Living
    • Dining
    • Celebrations
    • Outdoors
    • Faith
    • Comics
    • Puzzles & Games
    • Horoscopes
    • Blogs & Columns
    • War Eagle Extra
    • Bulldogs Blog
    • Guerry Clegg
    • Tim Chitwood
    • Richard Hyatt
    • Ledger Inquirer
    • Valley Preps
    • Chuck Williams
    • Dimon Kendrick-Holmes
    • Alva James-Johnson
    • Natalia Naman Temesgen
    • Chris Johnson
    • Opinion
    • Forum
    • Letters
    • Dusty Nix
    • Sound Off
  • Obituaries
  • Readers' Choice

  • Classifieds
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Cars
  • Homes
  • Place An Ad

  • About Us
  • Mobile & Apps

Latest News

Rep. Sanford Bishop says all Fort Benning commanders looking into cutting costs

By BEN WRIGHT - benw@ledger-enquirer.com

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 19, 2011 12:00 AM

A week after a Fort Benning official reduced the projected impact from the Base Realignment and Closure process and acknowledged a 15 percent cut in its workforce on post, U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr. said all post commanders have been directed to study their operations to reduce costs.

“I think that is a prudent thing to do,” Bishop, D-Albany, said Thursday after attending a Women’s Equality Day luncheon with his wife, Vivian Creighton-Bishop, at the Kelley Hill Dining Facility on post. “It’s good for the organizations in the military. It’s also good for the United States of America and the American taxpayers.”

At a time when the nation is facing increasing debt and unemployment, Bishop said controlling costs is a priority for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen. Every commander in every chain of command is now doing assessments and studying how to reduce costs efficiently to carry out the mission.

The deputy garrison commander at Fort Benning said last week that projections for BRAC are now down from 28,008 to 22,148. The reductions include soldiers, civilian government workers, spouses and children.

SIGN UP

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

In addition to getting fewer people from BRAC, Fort Benning is facing a 15 percent reduction in its work force, a cost-saving move throughout the Army.

Maj. Gen. Robert Brown, commander of the Maneuver Center of Excellence, was traveling and unavailable for comment late Thursday. Spokeswoman Elsie Jackson said officials are aware of possible budget cuts and doing more with less.

After listening to Mullen, the service chiefs and the Secretary of Defense, Bishop said officials are convinced that the military and the Defense Department can absorb the necessary cuts as a country and still be in a position to keep America’s military the strongest and best fighting force in the world.

“Our national security requires it,” Bishop said. “They are satisfied that we will have the necessary resources and personnel. With that said, plans are being made to have the reduction in force consistent with budgetary needs.”

Bishop -- who serves on the subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and related agencies, along with the subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies -- pointed to a drawdown of forces overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan and the reorganization of forces in Europe.

“It streamlines our forces and gets rid of the fat,” he said.

Despite the cuts Army-wide, Bishop said the future is still bright for the Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, the Infantry School and Armor School.

“We have some of the best and the brightest, the most creative folks in our military right here at Fort Benning and we will continue to have that,” he said. “These are essential missions that are conducted here at Fort Benning. They will have to be conducted into the future. I think the future of Fort Benning is strong.”

Creighton-Bishop, the guest speaker for the luncheon, focused on the contributions of 176,500 women serving in the Army. Women now make up 16 percent of the force.

“That is a huge number,” she told members of the 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team. “It certainly is a show of their strength and determination to be alongside our military to fight for our country.”

  Comments  

Videos

Kirby Smart shares update on Early Signing Day success

Fire ignites at scene of standoff on 20th Street in Columbus

View More Video

Trending Stories

Government Center flooding, school security and new mayor among top stories of 2018

December 28, 2018 12:00 AM

Kim Porter laid to rest in elaborate service with fireworks; many stars in attendance

November 24, 2018 07:20 PM

Winning numbers drawn in ‘Cash 4 Evening’ game

December 29, 2018 07:16 PM

Man brings the gospel to America’s highways and byways

February 15, 2017 09:06 AM

The entire state of Georgia is now covered in rain from Irma

September 11, 2017 11:55 AM

Read Next

An ultimate compliment: Sam Ehlinger hopes to see Texas model Georgia in two ways

Bulldogs Blog

An ultimate compliment: Sam Ehlinger hopes to see Texas model Georgia in two ways

By Brandon Sudge

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 06:50 PM

Sam Ehlinger, Texas Longhorns quarterback, spoke with media Saturday afternoon about facing the Georgia Bulldogs defense in the Suagr Bowl on Jan. 1. Receivers Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson could possibly leave for NFL draft.

KEEP READING

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

#ReadLocal

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE LATEST NEWS

‘He’s stepping up every day’: How Monty Rice became Georgia defense’s young leader

Bulldogs Blog

‘He’s stepping up every day’: How Monty Rice became Georgia defense’s young leader

December 29, 2018 01:54 PM
Deandre Baker sitting out the Sugar Bowl gives Georgia a unique advantage for 2019

Bulldogs Blog

Deandre Baker sitting out the Sugar Bowl gives Georgia a unique advantage for 2019

December 29, 2018 05:17 PM
Here are ‘best of the rest’ business and development stories in 2018 for Columbus area

Business

Here are ‘best of the rest’ business and development stories in 2018 for Columbus area

December 29, 2018 12:00 AM
Here are the top Columbus area sports stories of 2018

High School Sports

Here are the top Columbus area sports stories of 2018

December 29, 2018 12:00 AM
Stay or go? How two Bulldog juniors are preparing for the big decision

Bulldogs Blog

Stay or go? How two Bulldog juniors are preparing for the big decision

December 28, 2018 06:51 PM
Man charged in elderly Columbus couple’s random deadly assault could be released on bond

Crime

Man charged in elderly Columbus couple’s random deadly assault could be released on bond

December 28, 2018 01:18 PM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

Columbus Ledger-Enquirer App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Rewards
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
Advertising
  • Digital Solutions
  • Niche Solutions
  • Print Solutions
  • Place a Classified
  • Local Deals
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story