Social Security Q&A

Q: My buddies and I have been wondering: where can we go for information about benefits for wounded soldiers?

A: Social Security has just launched a new Web site with information on wounded warriors. You should know that people serving in the armed forces who become disabled while on active duty are given expedited service. And you may be able to receive Social Security benefits even while you continue to receive your military pay. Take a look at our new Wounded Warriors page at, where you'll find information about expedited benefits, a link to our online fact sheet, and even a link to apply for benefits online.

Q: My mom, who has limited income, gets Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of her heart condition. Now she's beginning to develop Alzheimer's disease. It's dangerous for her to live alone, so I'm looking for a comfortable nursing home. Will this affect her SSI benefits?

A: It depends on the type of facility. If an SSI beneficiary enters or leaves a public residential institution, skilled nursing facility, nursing home or any other kind of institution, Social Security needs to be notified. A person usually cannot get SSI while in a public institution. For more information, visit Social Security's Web site at or call Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).