Social Security Q&A

Q: I recently changed bank accounts and need to let Social Security know about it. Do I need to come in to the office?

A: Not at all. It's easy to change your direct deposit information from the comfort of your own home by using our online service at You may also change your direct deposit information by filling out a direct deposit sign up form, contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association, or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to use our automated phone service. Whichever way you choose to make the change, or even if you're setting up direct deposit for the first time, it's a fast, easy, convenient and safe way to receive your payments from Social Security.


Q: Are people in the military covered by Social Security?

A: Yes. People in the military services pay Social Security tax just like civilian employees do, and at the same rate of 6.2 percent of their earnings, which is matched by their employer -- in this case, the Federal government. The first $97,500 of a person's income is subject to Social Security tax. By paying Social Security tax, people in the military receive the same coverage for Social Security survivors, disability and retirement benefits. To learn more, visit our online publication, Military Service and Social Security, at or call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to ask for a copy to be mailed to you.